Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's Software defined radios ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartfree

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It seem that this field is a hot point at this time.
Could somebody give it a detail definition?
Thanks in advance!!!

I think you could have a look at Joseph Mitola's SDR definition : **broken link removed**

SDR is a very very very wide field and there are so many definitions ... In my opinion it is a philosophy in the communication field that tries to bring as closest as possible, the digital processing to the antenna.

An ideal SDR Transceiver would be antennas + ADC/DAC + digital processing architecture

hope it helps

altivec

Ideally an SDR would be a transceiver with all digital processing. The analog part would be antenna and an LNA. SDR terminals would be multiservice, multistandard, multiband and reprogrammable. One more exciting feature would be that it would be re-programmable through the air interface.

So far the reality is far fetched from it. It has many many problems/complications like wideband antennas, high dynamic range ADCs etc. etc. I think its only possible to have BB source n channel coding via DSPs whereas BB modem, IF and RF stage are still analog.

and yes a very hot topic for researchers.

Hi,
There are many problems with SDR as was said. But it is already being projected as a solution to many problems and esp. the cost issue. Imagine a single processor for 3G/4G/2.5G/WLAN with a single processor. It is exciting byt I do not really know when these things will hit the market!

B R M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back