What we should do to understand the given code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbz

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody,

I'm a very beginner in this field. I'm supposed to modify some given code for my little assignment. I have a given code writing on VHDL. First, I studied about the main agorithm. But then, I don't know what I have to do to understand clearly the idea of the previous designer. I'm supposed to use Modelsim to see something and after that modify the interface from 32 bits to 8 bits. Of course, I have to change the RAMs too. But because I'm a very beginner so I don't know what functions in Modelsim can help me to discover quickly the old design? What I should pay attention to? How to use the testbench code?

Thanks for any help

Hi

If possible go throught one example code with testbench provided in modelsim.
If you r able to understand the algorithm then u can code it easily.

First, you should ask for uArch document to understand the function of each block.
You need to identify where is the control path and where is the data path.
To review the given design, you should start from input/output interface at top level, you need to understand clearly the purpose and timing of each I/O signals.

fbz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much. I will try to do that. But I still want to receive more advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…