Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what types of ceramic capacitor can i use with 20Mhz crystal in pic16f877a mc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you want to use this capacitor?

If it's as load for the crystal oscillator itself, you should read the datasheet for the processor, and also take a look at the crystal specification.

You should find the capacitance value range and preferred dielectric there.

I want to use this capacitor with 20MHz crystal in PIC16F877A microcontroller. The specific value of capatitor is 0.1uf. But i have no 0.1uf ceramic capacitor so i one to use another one instead of it.

There's no known circuit that uses a 100 nF capacitor "with 20MHz crystal in PIC16F877A". In case of doubt review the datasheet, particularly chapter 14.2 Oscillator Configurations. Thus your question can't be answered, we have to asume a misunderstanding.

I want to use this capacitor with 20MHz crystal in PIC16F877A microcontroller. The specific value of capatitor is 0.1uf. But i have no 0.1uf ceramic capacitor so i one to use another one instead of it.

If you talk about the two capacitors used at the crystal itself, a value of around 22pF should be correct. If you look at page 146 in the PIC16F87xA datasheet, you will see the recommended values to be in the range 15-33pF

If you talk about decoupling capacitors for the circuit with a 20MHz frequency I would use a combination of 100nF and 10nF close to the processor and 100nF on support logic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.