What should i start with? to make a microprocessor project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAAASD

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
i'm new in microprocessor world and i want to make my very own project
i need to make my very own microprocessor in VHDL and will be using Quartus and implement it on FPGA
the question now is what should i start with ?
i know that, to make such a good project i need to read about different instruction set architectures
and for sure the first step is to learn;
so, if i ask you to recommend me some books to help me in my project what will you say ?
please notice ... i don't have a certain microprocessor to make but i'm very interested to make a project which will be
a microprocessor and hope it will be great!
i need to read first and decide what project to do
any help please, because i feel like i'm very stranger!
Thank you very much!

In 'Design Recipes for FPGAs' by Peter Wilson, in chapter 6 ('Embedded Processors') the basic techniques involved in embedded processors is discussed.

Note that when building a softcore processor, you can create a completely 'new' one, with your own instruction set and 'hardware'. One that suits YOUR needs.
Obviously you have the problem of (not having) a compiler, but would it not be nice if your processor would not require this? Just use very simple (user readable) instructions and you might not even need a compiler because YOUR processor understands them.

Reactions: MAAASD

MAAASD

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@Marcel Majoor
thank you for replying
i find your post is great and i will take your advice to look at ch6 of this book
but i need you to speak to me as a beginner because i'm just very new in microprocessor world as i said
but anyway you give me some hope thank you very much and waiting for more replies
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

my hope that i can create a completely 'new' one like you said
thank you very much
if you need to give me any other information in microprocessor ,,,i'm a good listener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…