Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Radar Sensor I will need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breixo

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi to all,

I am a newbie in radar and I am looking for a Radar Sensor (prefereable with DSP Card and Can-bus interface inside) that it can do the following:

1.- Detect human presence (moving and stationary)
2.- Calculate position (distance and angle)
3.- Maximum Range of 30 m, more or less
4.- Wide azimut angle or variable azimut angle though different antennas.
5.- 10.15 and/or 24 GHz and/or 76-77 GHz
6.- Low-cost ;-)

Please, I will appreciate a brief description of the name of the technology to look for docs and books. If you know manufacturers it will be the best for me.

Thank you very much,

Hi Breixo

What you need is a CW doppler radar which is capable of doing FMCW. If you also want to detect the angle of the object you also need several antennas (phase shifted). A module which cover all of them is not known to me (especially with DSP-card or CAN-bus included).
Most modules I know have analog doppler outputs (one or two, used for direction sensing) and a FM input. With this input you can modify the transmit frequency, which will make it possible to detect stationary objects.
I would prefer using 24GHz modules, because they are allowed to use nearly everywhere (ISM-band, 10.15GHz is only allowed in some countries). 76GHz modules are (at the moment) very expensive and are only allowed for automotive usage.
Such modules can be bought at:

MDT (Cavity-Modules with integrated varactor and schottky-diode)
InnoSenT (German company, veeeeery unfriendly)

There are also other companies in Asia.

Regards
mr_ghz

I know this is old, but I have had a very good experience with innosent. The cheapest ones (mono, without IF amplifier) are available for 6 Euro (at 1 piece), whereas for example a stereo one, with IF amplifier, is about 30 Euro. They also have more advanced ones, but i was interested in the low-end area only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back