Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What lead-spacing do you use for radial capacitors on PCBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlightenment

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What lead-spacing do you use for lower-capacitance radial thru-hole capacitors on PCBs? For example, bypass capacitors and smaller electrolytic / tantalum capacitors that are being used for logic-voltage power.

There are many lead-spacings, so I was curious what spacings other people use, so I can add at least 1 or 2 extra holes for more choices for hand-building PCBs. Obviously the wider lead-spacing is not for low-values, but I listed them below anyway.

Various sizes that I've seen: 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, 2.54mm, 3.5mm, 5mm, 5.08mm, 5.1mm, 6.35mm, 7.5mm, 10mm, 10.16mm, 12.5mm, ...

Personaly,apart from large elects. I haven't used a through hole cap for years. But lead spacing depends on the device, usualy they come with pre-formed leads to a variety of pitches, match your lead spacings to one of these that are readily available.

I think you got a good answer, i.e. most people steer clear from through-hole caps.
As you have noticed, radial caps come in a variety of pitches. Maybe it's not easy to have a generic footprint for all of them
but I'm no PCB footprint wizard.
It's not unusual to see 2mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm etc pitches for electrolytics depending on the manufacturer, voltage, profile.
If you're designing a PCB, then even if it is for hobby use, save yourself trouble and use a few surface mount sizes.
As an example, I stick to 0603 for everything up to about 0.22uF (0402 could be used, I just tend to have a lot of 0603) and then
0805 for up to around 10uF and then a few popular tant case sizes, which are standardized. When electrolytics are needed,
you can just create a footprint for the device you're using. If it is hobby use, then it doesn't matter if you have to bend the
leads a bit. If it is for a manufactured board, why are you not using SMD?

I'm making some PCBs for newbie soldering beginners, thus avoiding the smallest of parts and pitches. One of the goals is to add an extra hole or pads to some parts thus allowing multiple sized parts to be used. I have optional pads for large SMD parts too. For IC chips, they are dual-footprint, both DIP and staggered SO packages. I do have some finer pitch parts on the boards, but they are all 100% optional.

Last edited by a moderator:

In my opinion marce said what most professional PCB designers would answer on a vague question like yours. If the answer seems obvious to you, see it as a pretty strong hint to ask a more specific question.

If you are going for a real design, you'll need to decide about the finally assembled component at some point in time. In a usual design flow, the decision is made before schematic to layout transfer. In some cases, two or three forms may be alternatively considered, but surely not "1 mm ... 12.5 mm". There are different ways to implement variant forms depending on the layout system. A simple way, although it causes design rule violations is to place two components on top of each other, reasonable at least for prototype design. Or design special footprints with alternative pins according to your needs.

According to the specific use mentioned in your latest post, both ways may work. To decide about favourite pin spacing, why not review catalog distributor or DIY shop offers? It's not unusual even in professional design to choose the final component form based on the Digikey or Farnell stock.

Obviously, you don't need to decide about 2.5 versus 2.54 mm for a 2-pin capacitor, isn't it?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back