Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of amplifiers and architectures are used for LVDS receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E-goe

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

General question:

What kind of amplifiers did you guys see in an LVDS receiver. The LVDS receiver needs to translate theLVDS input signal to an CMOS differential signal.

What should be a suitable architecture for it? PMOS/NMOs input differential amplifier or something more advanced architectures?

Let me know your thoughts/experiences

Greetz ,

E-goe

LVDS receiver

this topic have been discussed many times,

best regards

Re: LVDS receiver

Thanks ericzhang,

The link to the documents you gave all disccus LVDS transmitters. Neither off them describe an LVDS receiver.

As in the TIA/EIA -644-A the specs for an LVDS receiver are mentioned as:

Common mode can vary 0.05V and 2.35V and the differential voltage can vary between 100mV and 600mV I am wondering what kind of an amplifier/archtecture can translate this input specs to an differential CMOS compatible output.

It doesn't seem one of the traditional amplifier archtitecture ( e.g. differential amplifier, cascode, miller OTA, symm OTA ) can provide this wide range of common mode signal at the input and still give a CMOS output voltage ( 0V = low 3.3V = high).

Greatly appreciate any feedback

E-goe

LVDS receiver

I haven't designed any LVDS before, but I'd assume the first thing is a level shifter circuit (as digital people would call it) or a comparator/Latch (as analog people might refer to it).

It should be a diff pair with a cross-coupled load and then followed by CMOS inverters. This is the simplest I can think of.

Keep in mind that you're not trying to amplify a signal with analog data, it is all digital so linearity and gain variations don't matter to the signal integrity.

LVDS receiver

E-go:

Some architecture propsed by some papers:
1.Level shifter before OPA;
2.Rail to Rail input amlifier;
3.Champwell amplifier( self biased amplifier);

Hope you can find suitable architecture.

BR

ericzhang
12/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back