Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is WiFi and what's its range ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopal_kmu54

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
as we are going to use wifi just for data transmission, is it possibel to use wifi without internet? if so how? how to extends its range for few kilometers?

Re: what is wifi?

It is possible to use wifi without internet
its just an wireless protocol
I think ur thinking about wifi router, which has Ethernet port, means that device fetches the data from ethernet and transmit over wifi protocol

what is wifi?

Wifi has a range of 100 meter so you can't use it with few kilometers. Other one is Wimax which actually can be used within about 30 kilometer range.

Secondly, You can transfer you data without the presence of Internet but the range matters a lot.

802.11 is a networking standard just like 802.3, it makes no difference whether it’s used for internet or intranet connectivity.
Wifi has a range of only 100M?
I think what your referring to is a standard enterprise class AP in PtMP mode with standard 5dBi Omni’s
Take a Cisco 1242 config it for bridge mode, put a 30 dBi Yagi on it and even without an amplifier it will connect to another 1242 with the same antenna over 20 miles as long as the antennas are mounted high enough to ensure adequate Fresnel zone clearance.

what is wifi?

WiFi is a Network protocol where different devices can be connected. It forms a WLAN(wireless LAN) network within 100mts range. It can be used without internet also.

BurnOut_tesla said:
It is possible to use wifi without internet
its just an wireless protocol
I think ur thinking about wifi router, which has Ethernet port, means that device fetches the data from ethernet and transmit over wifi protocol

wifi allows users to connect with their apps and content in a more intimate, intuitive and fun way than ever before. Users can browse the web, read and send email through wifi.

Added after 7 minutes:

https://www.edaboard.com/
i have search a link which lot of information about Wifi.

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer.

I think what your referring to is a standard enterprise class AP in PtMP (point-to-multi-point) mode (a single AP with multiple STA’s (stations) associated to this AP) with standard 5dBi Omni’s, what a non-802.11 professional calls wifi.

802.11 bridging

Take a Cisco 1242 config it for bridge mode, (PtP/point-to-point) put a 30 dBi Yagi (think an antenna that has a beamwidth like a laserbeam, at least as far as 2.4/5GHz is concerned) on it and even without an amplifier it will connect to another 1242 with the same antenna over 20 miles as long as the antennas are mounted high enough to ensure adequate Fresnel zone clearance.
FCC limits PtMP to 4W EIRP
FCC limits PtP (network bridge) to 158W, and with this you can bridge miles/kilometers!
Cisco even makes 802.11a/g bridges 1300/1400 series AP’s with internal Yagi antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back