Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the main use of PERL in VLSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru59

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone

i was asked in an interview about PERL....

i am basically an electronics graduate looking for opportunities in VLSI

what is the main use of PERL in VLSI................

if anyone has such docs it would be very great if you post it...or else atleast some one plz say where can i get such information abt PERL in VLSI..........

perl for vlsi

PERL is a scrpting langauge and normally used to automate task.
So to run vlsi tools or testbench stuffs rather then doing things manually u write a script for runing the task.

perl vlsi

can you be more specific...

in the sense do you have any material realting or writing basic perl scrips for VLSI............

vlsi perl scripts

Hai Guru..........

Basically PERL is used to script the command prompts in Tools..............

if you want to go for scripting in PERL search for books on PERL here in the ....

Good Luck..................

Guru59

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
application of perl in vlsi

Guru59 said:
hello everyone

i was asked in an interview abt PERL....

i am basically an electronics graduate looking for opportunities in VLSI

what is the main use of PERL in VLSI................

if anyone has such docs it would be very great if you post it...or else atleast some one plz say where can i get such information abt PERL in VLSI..........

PERL:practical enquiry and reporting language .Its a scripting language.IN verilog mainly in verifying instead of doing things manually scripting makes things easy
Go to oubook.com abd u can find lot of books

perl tutorial for vlsi

Guru59 said:
can you be more specific...

in the sense do you have any material realting or writing basic perl scrips for VLSI............
Hi Guru,
As the other poster mentioned, PERL is a very handy tool in VLSI design in all phases. In Verification this is very heavily used in almost all design teams/projects. Learning PERL itself is not so difficult (several good online texts/links/tutorials exist), do a google search. Infact in our company every engineer is required to learn Perl and use it in real verification project as most of our customers demand that.

In our recently launched Comprehensive Functional Verification (CFV, see: www.noveldv.com) course, we show real life applications of PERL in Verification. The course doesn't really teach Perl by itself, as the scope is different.

HTH
Ajeetha, CVC
www.noveldv.com

perl+vlsi .pdf

you know, perl is good for text processing. so, it's very useful for automatical codes generation, or in scripting in verification.

perl fo vlsi

ya... perl is very useful in VLSI...

but in my opinion... interview for VLSI post wont require u to know about it as perl is used for automation..

normally they will ask u on both transistor level and logic level design... i think u should focus on these rather then the scripting...

sp

why do you prefer perl in vlsi

Hi,

here is a elaborated answer -

1. In schools and colleages, the vlsi tools used will be generally GUI based. You do design, compile, simulation etc with the help og GUI.

2. In practical, guys in companies prefer to use command line intarface of the vlsi tools. they create scripts to call these command in a sequence. Now in order to add more automation they provide comman line options to such scripts.

3. PERL is one of languages that can be used to create such scripts.

4. PERL can also be used to check status of programms by comparing godlen results with present results.

5. PERL is also used to create some conversion scripts. e.g. your vhdl code is reading some text file. Now if the format of data with is different that what the vhdl code exepcts. Then you can crate a perl script to convert you data in to the required formated text file.

In my opiniun a very small set of perl language is used for VLSI.

hope this will help you.

Best luck,

Ramchandra

Reactions: melkord

Guru59

melkord

perl and vlsi

Hello Guru59,

To master Perl, follow these steps and in shaa allaah you will be Perl professional;

- Get the source of Perl from www.perl.com (if you work under Unix, most propably you will find it already installed)

- Start by a quick Perl tutorial to take an overview (a deep overview) .. this one is greet choice: www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nik/start.html

- Then read further small book in Perl to get deeper inside .. I suggest: "Perl in Nutshell"

- Try to solve some Perl practical problems, a good problem are made in the: "Perl Quiz of the week" wonderful site here: perl.plover.com/qotw

This is enough, after you join work, you will practice more specific things, and may need a reference to refere to it when needed.. such as: "Programming Perl", Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen & Randal Schwartz. (The camel book.)

I hope that helps you...

Best Regards,
Ahmad,

Re: PERL in VLSI....................

Hi,
Can any one let me know where I can get the sample PERL Scripts or could any one share one... please
Thanks
Vinod G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back