Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the difference berween these two cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuzhicai

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I met two cases like following:

always @ (a or b or c or d)
if (a && b)
out <= c;
else if (a)
out <= d;
else
out <= 1'b0;

always @ (a or b or c or d)
if (a && b)
out <= c;
else if (a && ~b)
out <= d;
else
out <= 1'b0;

what is the difference between these two cases. Which is the better?

Hi,

case 2 takes 1 AND gate more than case 1 to achieve the same result. so that's a drawback.

however, if you are using this code for simulation you have to be on your guard since if 'b' goes to 'x' it will always match the first condition if a == 1

Regards,
Hunter

I simulated these two cases with VCS.
In case 1, out is always equal to d. But the case 2 is normal. Why?

I think the previous reply explains it. In the first case the value of b dosent matter for the out to take 'd'. so basically it will be optimized and you'll have a anded with d being selected.

because your code will generate combinational logic and to follow good coding style,you should use blocking assignment,instead of non-blocking assignment.

In both the cases you should use Blocking, as it is combinational implememtation.
As per your doubt, in Case1, a=1 and b!=1. In this case, b can have x/z. So, you are always c=d. But in Case2, you are externally checking for b to be equal to 0. This definitely makes difference.
You try out the exact scenerio now, and let me too know if am confusing u!!!

thanks,
-reddy

In both the cases you should use Blocking, as it is combinational implememtation.
As per your doubt, in Case1, a=1 and b!=1. In this case, b can have x/z. So, you are always c=d. But in Case2, you are externally checking for b to be equal to 0. This definitely makes difference.
You try out the exact scenerio now, and let me too know if am confusing u!!!

thanks,
-reddy

Let me see if I can explain clearer:

Since you're using non-blocking, in Case 1, even if both a and b are 1, c is not assigned to out immediately, c is just scheduled to assign to out later, so when it comes to "else if (a)", obviously it is satisfied, so d is again scheduled to be assigned to out, so finally no matter what, you'll get out = d. But in Case 2, the second "else if (a && ~b) avoid that senario, so it is normal.
Try always use blocking assignment in combinational logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back