Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the cheapest solution to interface 8 - 10.3 megapixel MIPI / CSI2 modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terminator3

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am searching for a cheap solution to capture single images to a memory frame buffer.
Sensor is Sony IMX219 8-megapixel or better (SONY, Omnivision, aptina sensor).
The problem is MIPI CSI-2 (Camera Serial Interface) which requires to use expensive processor or MIPI to USB3.0 bridge. All recent sensors have MIPI CSI-2 high speed interface.

Ideal solution would be sensor + some ARM processor with MIPI CSI-2 interface + DDR memory.

I looked at Raspberry Pi design (which includes bcm2835 chip which provides CSI-2 interface), but unsure that it is best solution.

Try and have a look at Cypress Psoc-5. This is a programmable system on chip. It has an ARM M3 core along with programmable digital blocks containing up to 128 macrocells. You may probably be able to build a firmware based MIPI CSI-2 to serial interface using the digital logic in the digital blocks.
Have a look, may be it helps.

Try and have a look at Cypress Psoc-5. This is a programmable system on chip

Although it is an excellent recommendation, I'm not sure if it would be able to handle this case in particular on which the communication protocol is rather complex, comprising different communication layers. Although the PSoC-5 is an extraordinary concept, it is essentially focused to provide some few programmable H/W capabilities to the uC - effectively up to 24 Universal Digital Blocks on the top line part of the CY8C5 familly, unlike for example a SOC-based FPGA that has a considerable amount of macrocells along a 32-bits built-in processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back