Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD screen MPU interface selection pin

bounim

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm trying to chose a nice LCD screen for my project, and reading the datasheet, I ran into this:
C86: This is the MPU interface selection pin.
C86 = "H": 6800 Series MPU interface.
C86 = "L": 8080 Series MPU interface.

I then checked and from what I read, it's a different way of handling the memory bus. The intel way or the motorola way. But I don't get which one I'm supposed to chose if I want to plug my screen to a PIC32mx processor. Is it not possible ? Do I actually need an external memory bus ?

The datasheet for the screen: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1536566.pdf

Thanks for your help, I'm a bit confused

You unlikely will drive the LCD controller interface by a processor bus. Most microcontroller systems don't expose a bus although they are able to. More likely you'll drive the controller by dedicated PIO pins. Maximal speed of the LCD interface is a few MHz while PIC32 bus would operate in a high 10 MHz range. Connecting the LCD to an existing bus, e.g. for external RAM or ROM would seriuosly slow it down.

Most LCD controllers, e.g industry standard Hitachi HD44780 uses 6800 type, but you can switch to 8080 by changing the logic of two pins. E and R/W versus /R and /W. With PIO interface, one can be implemented as well as the other.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back