Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is difference between N - active and N + implantation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In CMOS process, I know N-ch mos consist of N+ diffususion and poly

but Some process layout technology, it is used N ACTIVE layer with N+ implantation layer to construct N MOSFET.

I don't know why N+ implantation layer used in CMOS process, for forming N MOSFET.

to form N MOSFET, is it enough to use N ACTIVE layer?

why does it need N+ implatation to form N MOSFET?

what is the role of N+ implatation layer?

thanks

yes, N+ diff form the NMOS.
and most the process neede active layer will have a Boolean calculation to form the N+ mask finally.

Re: what is difference between N - active and N + implantati

Active or sometimes called diff is area which specifies the opening in the oxide layer where the device will be.

Then you do the N+implant (or P+) . You can see that N+ is alwasy bigger then Active - this is to make sure the whole active area gets it implant in case of misalignment.

Usually before the N+ you deposit the poly layer (for creating the channel)

I recommend to read any book about CMOS design - there are 100 pages at the beginning describing the technology (in general terms but it is covering your questions)

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
We need ACTIVE and N+ Implant/P+ Implant masks. The ACTIVE area enclosed by N+ implant will be n-ACTIVE. But some one prefers to use N-ACTIVE and P-ACTIVE even though N+ Implant and P+ Implant are drawn. N-ACTIVE and P-ACTIVE will be merged to form a single mask --- ACTIVE.

Re: what is difference between N - active and N + implantati

ok. I agree that I cannot explain which point I have wondered.

I wonder why we have to use N+ implantation layer.

in MAGIC, or simple layout tool, we do not have to use n+ implantation layer

but in practical CMOS process, we have to use it.

why?

We always need N+ implant mask. However, sometimes we don't draw N+ implant layer, it can be generated by tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back