Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Ceramic Resonator (ZTB 455E) & why its used in remote controllers for TV ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishdeshmuk

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is Ceramic Resonator (ZTB 455E) & why its used in remote controllers for TV ?

IF its bad, what are the symptoms that might arise ?

thanks

Re: What is Ceramic Resonator (ZTB 455E) & why its used in remote controllers for TV

It works like a quartz crystal but is cheaper to make. It set the frequency of an oscillator which is then divided down from 455KHz to set the frequency of the carrier and signalling pulses.
If it fails, almost certainly the oscillator will not run and the remote will be completely dead.

Brian.

Re: What is Ceramic Resonator (ZTB 455E) & why its used in remote controllers for TV

My remote controller is not working at all, i have checked it by pressing the button and with the help of digital camera the LED glows on when i pushed any button on the remote but no working ....

there is ZTB 455E (Ceramic Resonator ) , NPN Silicon Transistor S9014 c331 , 10V 47uF , -40 + 105 degreeC capacitor & an white (transparent) LED ....

I have checked the transistor & LED they're fine ..... no leakage or blown caps .... how to test or check ZTB 455E ?

http://www.ecsxtal.com/store/pdf/ztb_ztbfr.pdf (ZTB 455E)

There's a testing circuit for i have to use 2 caps C1 200pF & C2 also of 200pF , 1 Mohms resistor & 2 CMOS Hex Inverters CD4069UBE , what should be the output ? Should i use oscilloscope for testing it ? From where to check the output ?

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/0/0105rycqwi0fctp5kigrtri606py.pdf

Here are the testing circuit & Electrical Characteristics of ZTB 455E :

http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/43_1333362413.jpg
http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/92_1333362413.jpg

thanks
take care
Regards

Have you checked the receptor present inside the tv ?

As Danishdeshmuk points out, the fault could be in the TV end, in fact given that the LED lights when a button is pressed, it's unlikely the remote is at fault.

To test it you need an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. Leave the resonator connected in the remote control board, connect the 'scope or frequency counter ground side to the battery negative terminal and the other probe to one side of the resonator. The power saving circuit in the remote will shut it down completely within a second or so of no button being pressed so you will have to press one (I suggest the power button) while making the check. On an oscilloscope you should see a repeating waveform, on a counter you should see it read approximately 455KHz. If you don't see this, try the other side of the resonator. Note that the effect of adding the probe will slightly shift the frequency so don't worry if it isn't exactly 455KHZ.

If the resonator is working, try connecting the oscilloscope across the IR LED, as you press a button you should see a burst of activity.

On most systems the resonator also operates the key scanning and time-out functions so if you are seeing the LED on your digital camera, the chances are the remote is operating normally. It is possible but extremely unlikely that the resonator has gone off frequency so it still works but sends IR commands the TV can't decode. In 40 years of working the electronics, I've never seen one do that though.

Brian.

A ceramic resonator is an electronic component that when combined with other appropriate components, can produce oscillations at a specific frequency. It consists of a voltage-variable capacitor that acts in some ways like a quartz crystal. Ceramic resonators are made of high-stability piezoelectric ceramics, generally lead zirconium titanate (PZT) which functions as a mechanical resonator. When voltage is applied, its piezoelectric "vibration behavior" causes an oscillating signal. The thickness of the ceramic substrate determines the resonance frequency of the device.

So, now how to check the receptor ? Is it an LED of normal type ?

If you have a digital camera you can usually see the IR remote pulsing when looking at it through the camera viewfinder LCD display.

he's talking about the part inside the TV

The IR receiver is more difficult to check. The only way I can think of is to connect an oscilloscope either to the output of the IR receiver module (it's usually a metal box with a window in it and has three legs, ground, 5V and output) or at the equivalent node at the TV controller IC. Some TVs have 'standard' micro-controllers to decode the IR command, some use dedicated ICs. It is quite normal for random data to be picked up from other IR sources and background noise but when the remote button is pressed it should turn into a very obvious data stream.

Brian.

Use phone camera or other camera or photoaparate to see IR led on remote controller. When You press some button on remote You should see blinking or lighting of IR led. Its simplest way to see if remote controller works.

Resonator is cheaper and smaller then crystal, and its has lower accurancy, specially on themperature changes. Unlike the crystals, the resonators have better ESD tolerance. The resonators also come with good shock and vibration tolerance when compared to crystals.

See this video:
https://www.elektronika.ba/805/sve-o-kristalima-i-oscilatorima/

Last edited:

It has already been confirmed the IR LED is flashing (post #3), it's the receiver inside the TV that needs to be tested.

Brian.

Are you sure that if remote LED is flashing when pressing any button then its the problem of the IR Receiver ?

How can i change or repair or replace the IR receiver inside the TV ?

Are you sure that if remote LED is flashing when pressing any button then its the problem of the IR Receiver ?

How can i change or repair or replace the IR receiver inside the TV ?

Check maybe protected transparent filter infront of IR led on tv is dirty, try to clean it.

You must open TV case, and see section of IR receiver. You can check IR receiving module at first.

How to clean it ? Clean it just from outside or from inside also by opening up the tv case ?

How to clean it ? Clean it just from outside or from inside also by opening up the tv case ?
Try first easiest way, try first from outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.