Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is better for FPGA manufacturer, Xilinx or Altera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Xilinx or Altera?

I think everything is depends on ur application....
XIlinx also used widely nowadays since its cheaper.... but altera also is more userfriendly i think....
now Stratix is more powerfull series and it has DSP blcok stes also.... it also depends on EABs also... wat kinda code r u writing.. if its more on maths... u need to choose FPGA with more EABs.... frequwncy of operation is also imp thing....
i think altera is quite better... with stratix and cyclone.... for high freq operation....
but still xilinx is more widely used and accepted,.....
but still i want to go with ALTERA...

jay

I will choose altera. The software ISE supported by Xilinx is very slow and stupid.

Xilinx or @ltera?

I think xilinx is better. We can easily use sysgen in simulink.

Re: Xilinx or @ltera?

jamesyang1209 said:
very slow and stupid.

slow ??????????

also define "stupid" and Why?

bart

I cann't find the error from it's error mssage easily.
Also, the P&R take too many time.
That's only my opinion and feeling.

Any PAR can be very slow if you over constraint, it merely depends on the algorithm used to do the optmization, I dunno exactly the algorithm used with the ISE but I believe that it is "Dynamic programming" and this explains it hunger for memory.

Xilinx or @ltera?

Frankly, the two vendors' FPGA both can satisfy Dora's demand. But I think that Xilinx is better since its more flexible and easier-to-use features of the ISE software.In addition, the documentation of Xilinx is better,saving many development time.

Guys, Guys,

Forget about X and A for DSP applications. Lattice has brought a new FPGA family to the market with dedicated DSP blocks. Study this architecture, the performance you can get out of it is far more better than with X & A. And on top of that it has dedicated logic to interface DDR memory.
Regards

I'm using Altera since they sent me a T-Shirt :)

Hi

Both two vendors are OK. But I think xilinx is cheaper. Altera's maxplus II is easy to use. But, quartus II is so so now. ISE6 is not bad now. If you don't care of GUI, ISE is a good tools.

Let me reformulate the question:

The Beatles or The Rolling Stones ?

Choose what you like.

lucbra
Xilinx as well will introduce its new Virtex-IV family that is infact a three kind of FPGA LX, SX and FX. all build on 90 nm technology with internal speed upto 500 MHz, build upon ASMBL Archtechture "unvieled one yr earlier". The new serieses all exihbits: logic, Memory, DCM and DSP, the FX series has two more features which is processor and trancievers.
The FPGA is estimated to start shipping next yr.

I work with Altera. I've tried to work with Xilinx. I think Quartus II (Altera) has more friendly interface than ISE (Xilinx). It's more simpler. You needn't to use another synthesizeres and simulatores like ModelSim (Xilinx). Quartus has very powerful synthesizer and simulator.
To say about chips... All of them have the same blocks (summ., mult., ...). The latist WebPack Quartus II v.4.1. allows to programm almost all of the families. And the latist families Cyclone II and Stratix II are the best. They have very little cost and dimensions.
Another question is a language... I'd advise you to learn VHDL.

In our lab a lot of projects (DSP, filters FFT, DCT, MP3, microcontrollers, interfaces, etc) were mapped into both Altera and Xilinx.
In Xilinx FPGAs projects have less hardware and much higher clock frequency and look more fine.
Xilinx's both FPGA architecture and tools are much "drivable"
according to user constraints.

If you intend to keep FPGA technology for a long time
then you would better select Xilinx.

Regnum said:
I'm using @ltera since they sent me a T-Shirt :)

In fact this is the rule :) use FPGA vendor that offer you more.
T-shirt is just a simbolic gift, but the feeling that you are well supported is sooooo important, trust me.

X or A there is no differences use one, learn as much us you can about it, the trick is in modeling language and not in the hw.

bart

Hello,

If in you design you want to use large (>512x8) fifo/logic tables/RAM/ROM then a Altera FPGA's are more preferiable than Xilinx, especialy Apex series.

dunets said:
especialy Apex series.

Apex is an old and expensive series. Stratix II and Cyclone II are modern and cheaper.

Bye,
cube007

Fnutik said:
I work with @ltera. I've tried to work with Xilinx. I think qu@rtus II (@ltera) has more friendly interface than ISE (Xilinx). It's more simpler. You needn't to use another synthesizeres and simulatores like ModelSim (Xilinx). qu@rtus has very powerful synthesizer and simulator.
To say about chips... All of them have the same blocks (summ., mult., ...). The latist WebPack qu@rtus II v.4.1. allows to programm almost all of the families. And the latist families Cyclone II and Stratix II are the best. They have very little cost and dimensions.
Another question is a language... I'd advise you to learn VHDL.

qu@rtus has very powerful synthesizer and simulator.
R U JOKING?Do U know the mean of powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.