Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What instrument should I use to measure IIP3 of a LNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunlee

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

May i know what the instrument i can use to measure IIP3 of a LNA? The operating frequency of the LNA is 2.4GHz.

Regards,
Chun Lee

Re: IIP3 measurement

You need two signal generators and one spectrum analyzer. Connect the two generators input by a combiner to the LNA input. Send the two tones at, for example, 2.4GHz (f1) and 2.41 GHz (f2), same power, and see the signal at 2.39 GHz (2*f1-f2) and at 2.42 GHz (2*f2-f1). Measure the difference level between f1 and the armonic (or f2 and armonic), called IM3. The relaptions that link the IM3 and the IIP3 is: IIP3 = input signal level + IM3/2.
There are also the network analyzer of last generation can do the IIP3 linearity measurement directly.

By

IIP3 measurement

When you first combine the two signals from the signal generators, make sure the IP3 generated by the signal generators is lower then the LNA's. If not, the you will need to use isolators after each signal generator so that they don't distort each-other.

Re: IIP3 measurement

Thanks for your kindly reply. I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.