Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does this circuit do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simce

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've found that in many DVM's this circuit is placed between input terminals, but i can not figure what does this circuit do? It is some kind of protection, but how it works?

This circuit works like a simple diode connected in series with a Zener diode.
The back biased b-e junction works like Zener with about 6V breakdown voltage and forward biased one like simple diode with about 1V dropout. So the whole circuit is a sort of bipolar voltage clamp (or transient suppressor) for about 7V.

Varuzhan

simce

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That was my first thougt, and to be sure i made this circuit in circuit maker to be sure. But this circuit does nothing on input voltage ramp from 0-1kV! (resistor is placed in series with V source and this circuit)!

Circuit maker is a simulation lab, and may not include this fact, that in BJT the (+/-) BE breakdown voltage is as low as 6V.
This circuit, as stated by VDANIEL, is +/- ≈7V clamping device..
Regards,
IanP

simce

vdaniel said:
This circuit works like a simple diode connected in series with a Zener diode.
The back biased b-e junction works like Zener with about 6V breakdown voltage and forward biased one like simple diode with about 1V dropout. So the whole circuit is a sort of bipolar voltage clamp (or transient suppressor) for about 7V.

Varuzhan

I think that forward biased trans is used for temperature compensation of backbiased zener alike trans.

simce

Actually this circuit is equivalent of two zener diode connected antiseries. It works for positive voltage so as for negative.

I don't think that temperature compensation is needed here.
Anyhow i think that this is bipolar clamping device as IanP and vdaniel said before.

It is a clamping device with low leakage current.

Really, though beeing mainly a clamp, it is the same time enough good temperature compensated Zener too.

Varuzhan

actually, this circuit are two zener diode in serise back to back,

I think it is used to suppress over voltage spikes.

best regards

simce said:
I've found that in many DVM's this circuit is placed between input terminals, but i can not figure what does this circuit do? It is some kind of protection, but how it works?

Hi,

I’ve a doubt….here

Why does the reverse biased b-e junction, works like a zener diode? Why not the transistor will get damaged if applying reverse bias on b-e junction?

Thanks

This circuit is explained in the service manual of the Fluke 77 multimeter. It serves as back-to-back zener diodes which limit the input voltage to between 7 and 9V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back