Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the speed grade in Xilinx signify?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: speed grade

It basically tells you the response time. The net delay caused by the device itself....rather than your logic.
In case of Xilinx FPGA the more -ve the value the faster the device.
-5 is faster than -4 device ...so on so forth.

Thanks,
Gold_kiss

speed grade

Also discussed here..

Try this link before posting ;)

speed grade

Download an FPGA Data Sheet and read the chapter titled "DC and Switching Characteristics".
**broken link removed**

it just indictes the speed of the nets.

gold_kiss said:
It basically tells you the response time. The net delay caused by the device itself....rather than your logic.
In case of Xilinx FPGA the more -ve the value the faster the device.
-5 is faster than -4 device ...so on so forth.

Thanks,
Gold_kiss

I agree that this is a propagation time... but I have seen in some app notes, that this time is given in ns, for example, -5 = 5 ns, -4 = 4ns, so I don't think that -5 is faster than -4 speed grade.

SPEED GRADE .??
I WONDER IF WITH FPGAS is like with CPUs ..The MANUFACTURE process is the same for ALL but they only determine the speed rating with a TEST for a particuliar DEVICE .
INSTEAD of having 3 PRODUCTION CHAINS .devoted to the same PART !!!!

I believe that the difference between speed grades lies mainly in the packaging, for example a -6 speed grade must be determined within some package,
although the die is the same however the prices may vary significantly with higher speed grades.

speed grade

hi,
it represents net delay more the -ve value faster the speed.
with regards,
kul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back