Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does "bootloader" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

otuzsubat

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i saw many topics here about bootloader. but i do not know what means a bootloader. can anyone explain? for which purpose can i use it?

Normally, it is a small program stored in non-volatile memory. It's the first code the processor runs after power-up reset. It's job is to fetch the larger main program from somewhere and then execute it.

A BOOTLOADER ,,,i remember answering to this question ...LONG TIME AGO .!
I could tell you do a search ... and get used to SEARCH EDA ..
i will include the answer though !.

in embedded systems with FLASH MEMORIES the BOOTLOADER is a small PROGRAM that allows to reprogram that memory ..
in the past before the FLASH technology was avalaible .the only way to change a program in NON VOLATILE memory which meant EPROM ..was to erase the EPROM and program it with an EPROM PROGRAMMER .. those days are over!
If you make a little program with enough intelligence to BOOT and see if some switch is on to start receiving data and program it into FLASH and later once the switch is off boot again and run the new code everytime ..
THEN YOU HAVE A BOOTLOADER ..

Hai

You can have a bootloader for some PIC chips from www.microchipc.com .

Programe this hex file into a pic. Then wire the pic as instructions in that site.

That means you have to wire a serial port interface by which you can connect this PIC to a PC serial port.

After this you can download your own application hex files into this pic from serial port of PC.

You dont have to remove the pic each time for reprogramming during development, A good arrangement for development if you dont have other costly tools.

Picstudent

The bootloader programe actually resides at the top position in the programe memmory.Whenever power is applied the reset vector points to a long jump to the last 256 byte page in the programe memmory where the real bootloader resides
To implement a BOOTLOADER is necessary that your code memory is of type FLASH by blocks . There are now some CPU's with the bootloader already from factory .. So as you can see this is a nice interface to have to upgrade an embedded system or to diagnose from a distance ..

Bootloader is tinye peice of s/w which loads OS (or its similar control code) from the storage or network to the memory and gives control to it.

In PC bootloader reads the sector 0 of hardisk (or cd , floppy) and loads it to 0000:7200 address.

Just for the history & the fun or repeating this:

Where the term "BOOTloader" came from:

Starting sequence of a system is called the boot sequence (by analogy to a person performing the miraculous feat of "pulling himself up by his own bootstraps").

The origin of this came from an old story of the Baron von Munchausen who-- in order to cross a swamp without drowning-- lifted himself and his horse above the water by pulling up on his own hair! and in a later version was using his own bootstraps to pull himself out of the sea, which gave rise to the term bootstrapping!

(ref. https://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Baron Munchhausen)

Salam All
u can see the next link:

hope that be usefull for u
Have a nice day:D
Ahmed

Status
Not open for further replies.