Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what distribution of Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7rots51

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to select one distribution of linux and start working with it,I am electronic engineer and I am doing embedded c programming,what distribution of linux is better for long term.which is better for electronic softwares(open source and commercial support)

fedora? ubuntu? Suse? CentOS?

Hi,
I use Ubuntu ocasionally and find that it is pretty good for general day-to-day use. The number of electronics software running on Linux natively is very few, however many of the software can be quite easily run using WINE. I have tried mikroBASIC and it works with WINE. WINE runs plenty of apps, including PCB, Simulation software, with slight faults that usually do not come up.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Personally I use ubuntu workstation and I'm quite happy with it, lot of open source software you can easily install from repositories.
At work we use Debian (witch ubuntu is based on) but it's more to implement specifics server functionalities.

Actually there's a Fedora Spin specially design to electronics.. It comes with a lot of applications to that purpose.. you can read more at: **broken link removed**

I am also using fedora. You can install the "Fedora Spin specially design to electronics".
Or you can install all the design tools separately

My experience: Debian (2 years), Gentoo (3 years), Fedora (3 years)
No doubt: I reccomend Fedora.

Look for one that doesn't include so called "cloud" code.
I've stopped using Linux because of this.
You may as well stick with M$ IMO

jack

Fedora Electronic Lab is the best for your requirement. Although ubuntu and other distro's are good, many applications have to be installed manually (Electonics based). FEL gives you a good no of tools to get you going. Besides, if you are new to linux, i am sure installing from source is not what you want to do at first. So try giving FEL a spin.

Does Gentoo rate a mention? I've done a ton of work with it on Embedded boards - I dont mind the idea that you start with scratch and customise from the ground up.

I use Fedora. But What is there in a brand? Except for certain management commands, all are same. Even LFS is good.
Even If you are aware of Austrumi linux then it is good too. It comes in a cardsize CD.

Then comes the DSL really It is small. you can use a liveCD from several Distros.
Even Mother of all Linux Distro The SLACKWARE, is great for experimenting.

For H/W engineer, RHEL is the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.