Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what capacitance value to be used

Status
Not open for further replies.

morrry

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I'm using a 12-0-12,1A step down transformer and a bridge rectifier,my requirement is to step down to 13-15v, can i know the possible capacitance values to be used? is there any design?

Hi,
I'm using a 12-0-12,1A step down transformer and a bridge rectifier,my requirement is to step down to 13-15v, can i know the possible capacitance values to be used? is there any design?

Hi Morrry and Welcome to EDABoard forum,

You can step down voltage with some linear or switcher voltage regulator. For your design with linear regulator I will use 1000uF before voltage regulator, 330uF after voltage regulator, and 100nF on output. Also distance between capacitors and other parts are important, such as length of wires also. For switcher regulator use manufacturer suggested design and you can add additional 100nF on end.

Additional suggested material for reading :

Attachments

• Selecting a Capacitor for SMPS filter.pdf
    351.3 KB · Views: 103
  • Choosing and Using Bypass Capacitors.pdf
    405 KB · Views: 100
  • Input and Output Capacitor Selection.pdf
    219.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Power Supply Noise Reduction.pdf
    215.5 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: FvM and morrry

morrry