Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the half and full duplexes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoweek

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
half and full duplexes

hi,

while i was configuring my router to try to assign each port with a certain BW which i would specify, i found some accronyms that i couldn't understand. i'll state them next and hope someone tell me their meanings:

10/HALF DUPLEX
10/FULL DUPLEX
100/HALF DUPLEX
100/FULL DUPLEX

thanks,

Re: half and full duplexes

shadoweek said:
hi,

while i was configuring my router to try to assign each port with a certain BW which i would specify, i found some accronyms that i couldn't understand. i'll state them next and hope someone tell me their meanings:

10/HALF DUPLEX
10/FULL DUPLEX
100/HALF DUPLEX
100/FULL DUPLEX

thanks,
10 means 10 megabits, 100 means 100 megabits. Half dupleks means that while one side transmits, other side receives. Full duplex means that both sides transmit and receive at the same time.

shadoweek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You will sometimes see another available setting such as "auto." When you select this (instead of one of the four options you mentioned) the port will automatically negotiate with the connected device to establish optimum speed. This is recommended if you are unsure about device capabilities or in cases where the port might be connected to a different device in the future. If you select one of the fixed options, the port will be locked into that mode of operation.

shadoweek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

10 refers to 10 Mbps ethernet (LAN) and 100 to 100Mbps ethernet (LAN). With full duplex you can have two-way communication 'simultaneously'. With half duplex, you can have two-way communication, but only one at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.