Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the differences between SDF versus SPEF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffo123

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
SDF versus SPEF

I forgot the differences between SDF and SPEF.

Pls.... Someone tells me the difference.

According to my old memories...

SDF has only cell delay and spef has RC interconnection delay...

I want to know....
Please let me know the truth.

Thanks in advance.

SDF versus SPEF

SDF has actual delays for cells and nets in ps (max/min and rise/fall).

SPEF has resistance and capacitance values for nets (split iton segments). The delay calculator inside the sta tools use SPEF + .libs to calculate the delays

Re: SDF versus SPEF

Hi, shelby.
What algorithm does the delay calculator of commercial tool like Astro of Synopsys use for net delay? Is it just Elmore?
I used Astro for timing report before routing. But found the delay number different from that obtained with Elmore and R and C's in SPEF output. :|

Many thanks!

shelby said:
SDF has actual delays for cells and nets in ps (max/min and rise/fall).

SPEF has resistance and capacitance values for nets (split iton segments). The delay calculator inside the sta tools use SPEF + .libs to calculate the delays

Not sure what delay models they use , but ...

Pre-route timing does not use extracted RCs based on the pdk tech files. What it will do (i think) is a simple steiner route (ignoring shorts) and then use the capTables to look up estimated RC values on the nets.

This is normally fairly accurate (within 5% or so). If not you can create a extracted spef and then correlate it with your estimated spef. You can then using scaling factors to get your estimated RCs to match the extracted ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back