Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the differences between dual-port and 2-port SRAMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharundi

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently heard a usage of dual-port and 2-port SRAM terms, but I wasn't quite sure about the differences. My impression had been that both are same, and the terms are used interchangeably. But, now I am thinking it's not true. I would appreciate any clarification anyone can provide on this. Further, please also provide any documentation (i.e. slides, datasheets, etc.) you may have to further clarify the topic. Thanks!

I think it is in principle the same but used as different expressions on the chip-level design (Two Port SRAM) and the component level design (Dual Port SRAM). Here a paper talking about two ports for video application: https://www28.cs.kobe-u.ac.jp/~kawapy/publications/ISVLSI07NPSRAM.pdf . The basic function is always to access a memory from both sides. Since it is only one memory cell you have to solve the conflict of simultaneous read/write case through arbitration logic.

Some memories have two ports but one only for reading and the second only for writings.
Some memories have two ports which could used for reading and writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back