Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the available antenna design tools for PCB or 868-915 Mhz bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Antenna design tools

Hi,

My experience:

NEC (http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/swindex.html)

Altough NEC4 is not freely avaliable, there are several free versions for NEC2. For windows 4nec2 is quite good, but for those who want to play with de code there's also a C version of NEC (known as nec2c. Unfortunatly the ouput is not compatible with Fortran versions, and cannot be used with, for example, 4nec2). As long as I'm concerned is the only one not written in Fortran.

Is simple, but I has no support for dielectric. It's intendeed for vertical antennas over an (im)perfect ground. For planar antennas over a dielectric it has no support at all (I hope not).

There are also commercial version, usually NEC2 (I think only GNEC uses NEC4), like SuperNEC that works "with" Matlab. Anyway, there are not many differences between simulators, and these commercial versions only add a good GUI

EMAP5 (**broken link removed**)

Much more powerfull than NEC2, but also slower. It can model patches over a dielectric. It's easier to write input files, as is fully written in C, and dosen't need fortran-like "cards"

MOMENTUM (Agilent)

It's commercial, and 2.5D, but as a first approch to model planar antennas i think it's quite good. I like its layout editor.

I'm trying to optimaze the input impedance a planar antenna, therefore I'm looking for a "fast" simulator, no need of accurracy (I can used Momentum or HFSS for the prototype). NEC2 was my choice (EMAP5 is quite slow), but I have no idea how can I solve the dielectric problem: I've been thinking of an lossy ground at a certain distance that could model the dielectric efect.

Any ideas?

usu4rio

p.s. Element7k thank's for Mstrip40. I'll give it a try

I used @ns@df Designer resently,It well agree with measured results.

Antenna design tools

IE3D is more accurate in attenna simulation.

Antenna design tools

Accuracy is important of course but;

I hate GUI and manual construction of IE3D.
I too hate graphic of @DS.

CST MWS would be my choise but I have just started to learn.

HP8970B

I suggest u to use CST MWS. It is a great tool.
What kind of antenna are u going to design? PIFA? monopole?

Do you have examples of PCB (and 3D) antennas in CST at 433MHz or 868MHz? It will be pleasantly seen other work.

Blekot

dear all,
i just finished design and manufactur of a two ort dual polarized circular p4tch with slits (for fine tuning). i did the design with IE3D; it uses a thick fiber sub of 7mm (er=4.4); the measured and simulated design was just 5MHz apart in 1.260 GHz. moreover, the feed position was exact; and you know that this means i dont have to tune the feed position which needs a lot of hard work of soldering etc.,
so, among the other measured results of p4tch antennas i designed by ie3d, i strongly recommend it for this type of antenna: fast, easy to use and exact.

rgds,
Mat

I want to know where to download pdf books for microwave<thanks>

Antenna design tools

who can you give me a link for downloading CST?

Antenna design tools

For antenna design for cellphons, I strongly recommend XFDTD. It has a function of importing solid models from ProE and also has SAR simulation tool.

Hi

Do try using Ansoft HFSS. It is slightly an expensive tool but considering the ease of usage and closeness to actual values, it is defy worth it.

thanks
M

as to me now ,HFSS is the best choise.

Antenna design tools

For designers using the ADS Design Flow, engaged in the most common circuit design tasks - linear simulation, tuning, and the basic operations in schematic, simulation setup, data display, and layout - ADS 2004A provides significantly improved ease-of-use and productivity as compared with any previous ADS release.

I am trying to design an internal antenna for Cellular phone applications, I am evaluating ans@ft HF$$ right now but I think with the price we probably cannot afford this, is there any other "appropriate" design tool to handle this, I have used Momentum for a couple of my printed antenna on PCB's. Any suggestions would be great. Budget is a concern, but with the ease of use of ans@ft HF$$, would you say it is orth it or not. Any comments or suggestions would be great.

I tried Momentum , HFSS, Sonet for fractal antenna. HFSS was best when compared to the measured results.

Best regards
Ania

Hi,

for antenna design work you should seriously look at CST. As far as I now is the (list) price slightly lower.

F.

crsun said:
I think @DS can do somethi
hi i am not agree with u that ads avoid help me in 3 d antennas specially with finite ground as quasi yagi
are u success to simluate it
regards
i wait ur reply

Antenna design tools

There is another ansoft software call designer

I think cst or hfss good
Now I am working with them for my microstrip antenna design

Microstrip and Printed Antenna Design

Randy Bancroft

Format: Hardcover, 260pp.
ISBN: 1884932-58-4
Publisher: Noble - SciTech
Pub. Date: 2004

As you order, each item will be listed in Your Shopping Cart in the upper left corner. You may make changes at Checkout.

Microstrip and Printed Antenna Design is written for practicing engineers new to the field, but it also contains up-to-date research that is useful for the more experienced designer.
The volume includes a succinct treatment of wireless designs with enough detail that CAD formulas may be implemented with relative ease. In addition, an extensive discussion on creating microstrip antennas which radiate circular polarization is included. Both rectangular and elliptical patches with broadside circular polarization and circular patches with monopole type circularly polarized radiation patterns are discussed.

Additional subjects include maximizing the radiation efficiency of a patch antenna, creating broad-band and dual-band microstrip antennas, corporate and series fed arrays which produce broadside and omnidirectional patterns, and electrically small printed antennas.

Table of Contents:
Preface
Chapter 1: Microstrip Antennas
The Origin of Microstrip Radiators
Microstrip Antenna Analysis Methods
Microstrip Antenna Advantages and Disadvantages
Microstrip Antenna Applications
References
Chapter 2: Rectangular Microstrip Antennas
The Transmission Line Model
The Cavity Model
Radiation Pattern and Directivity of a Linear Rectangular Microstrip Patch Antenna
Quarter Wave Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
pi/4 by pi/4 Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
Circular Polarized Rectangular Microstrip Antenna Design
Impedance and Axial Ratio Bandwidth
Efficiency
Design of a Linearly Polarized Microstrip Antenna With Dielectric Cover
Design Guidelines for a Linearly Polarized Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
Design Guidelines for a Circularly Polarized Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
Electromagnetically Coupled Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
Ultra-Wide Rectangular Microstrip Antenna
References
Chapter 3: Circular Microstrip Antennas
Circular Microstrip Antenna Properties
Directivity
Input Resistance and Impedance Bandwidth
Circular Microstrip Antenna Radiation Modes
Microstrip Antenna Cross Polarization
Annular Microstrip Antenna
References
Chapter 4: Broadband Microstrip Antennas
Broadband Microstrip Antennas
Microstrip Antenna Broadbanding
Patch Shape for Optimized Bandwidth
References
Chapter 5: Dual Band Microstrip Antennas
Dual Band Microstrip Antennas
Single Resonator Rectangular Microstrip Dual Band Antenna
Multiple Resonator Dual Band Antennas
Dual Band Microstrip Antenna Design Using a Diplexer
Multiband Microstrip Design Using Patch Shaping and a Genetic Algorithm
References
Chapter 6: Microstrip Arrays
Microstrip Arrays
Planar Array Theory
Rectangular Microstrip Antenna Array Modeled Using Slots
Aperture Excitation Distribution
Array Feeding Methods
Phase and Amplitude Error
Mutual Coupling
References
Chapter 7: Printed Antennas
Printed Antennas
Omnidirectional Microstrip Antenna
Stripline Fed Tapered Slot Antenna
Meanderline Antenna (ESA)
Half Pitch With Reduced Short Circuit Plane (PIFA)
Rectangular Microstrip Fed Slot Antenna
Microstrip Fed Printed Dipole
References
Appendix A: Microstrip Antenna Substrates
Appendix B: Numerical Methods
Appendix C: Microstrip Transmission Line Design and Discontinuities
Appendix D: Antenna Topics
Index

Randy Bancroft, P.E., holds a BSEE from Iowa State University, and a MSEE from the University of Colorado at Boulder. The author of ten publications, including the 1996 book Understanding Electromagnetic Scattering Using the Moment Method, Bancroft is a Senior Member of the IEEE and is credited for six patents. During a diverse career in industry, he has worked for Lockheed, Martin Marietta, Thomson Consumer Electronics, Centurion Wireless, and Ball Aerospace among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back