Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are some practical uses of Fourier trasnform for electronics engineer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabel126

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
what is practical uses of fourier trasnform for electronics engineer. plz explain in very detail from very begining (consider me i have no practical knowledge)

fourier transform

Hi
many useful and important parameters such as
THD, IP3, SFDR, SNDR, SNR and ...
can be obtained from it.
so it is important.
regards

Re: fourier transform

Fourier Transform is used when we analize Continous Functions....

This have the Same Significance than Fourier Series but the frequency components in this case is other function (a continuous gamma of frequency)

rabel126 said:
what is practical uses of fourier trasnform for electronics engineer. plz explain in very detail from very begining (consider me i have no practical knowledge)

The Fourier transform is a tool used by engineers to extract the frequency content of a signal. It can show how the signal behaves in the frequency domain. This is useful for designing filters. Only time analysis is not enough, that's why Fourier analysis is quite important.

This book covers the basic theory of Fourier Transform: "Signals and Systems", Author: Simon Haykin

rabel126

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

As you know the fourier transform transforms a time domain signal to the frequenct domain. Doing this you will relax some tedious calculations which would otherwise be done in the time domain. There really is a lot of practical applications for this. For example, in a GSM phone the speech coding makes use of this. However, to understand this fully you have to understand the FFT algorithm which is a clever way of doing a fourier transform in practice.
Generally speaking, I find that the fourier transform (or any other tranform) isn't strange at all. We just happened to be most familiar with signals in the time domain, mainly because the life is a function of time, not frequency. But it could just have been the other way, signals could have been more familiar to us as functions of frequency. Often, the frequency spectrum says a lot more about the signal than the time domain "spectum".

rabel126

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back