Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weird gm/id vs vgs result in Cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidmanbasha

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gm / vgs

I am trying to simulate gm/id vs vgs in cadence but I get a strange transition when vgs approaches zero as shown below.

How I did the simulation : sweep vgs vs id then using the calculator i get the derivative of id and divide by id to get gm/id

id vs vgs

kidmanbasha said:
I am trying to simulate gm/id vs vgs in cadence but I get a strange transition when vgs approaches zero as shown below.
It's not weird, it's normal: in sub-threshold (= weak-inversion) you have maximum gm/id , s. e.g. E. Vittoz' weak-inversion paper below (p. 10).

vgs vs id

you can also use dc analysis and obtain 'gmoverid' parameter.

ids vs vgs cadence

erikl...I did as oermens said and the result is as expected without the the sudden peaking at vgs--->0.

id versus vgs

kidmanbasha said:
erikl...I did as oermens said and the result is as expected without the the sudden peaking at vgs--->0.
So the SPICE DC calculations provide a smoother transition from weak <-> strong inversion!?

yes. actually the peaking was in the inversion region only cuz the vto of my process (0.13u) is between 0.2 and 0.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back