Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

water level indicater.metal contacts give errors. help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaccabee

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i was trying to make a simple water level indicator.The circuit is shown below
Tank.GIF

Code:
Parts:
R1,R2,R10-R12___15K  1/4W Resistors
R3,R4____________1K  1/4W Resistors
R5_____________100R  1/4W Resistor
R6______________47K  1/4W Resistor
R7,R8,R13________3K3 1/4W Resistors
R9,R14,R15_______2K7 1/4W Resistors

C1_____________470nF  63V Polyester or Ceramic Capacitor

D1_______________3mm  Green LED
D2_______________3mm  Yellow LED
D3_______________3mm  Red LED

Q1_____________BC547  45V 100mA NPN Transistor

IC1_____________4012  Dual 4 input NAND gate IC
IC2____________LM393  Dual Comparator IC

J1,J2____________Two ways output sockets

P1______________SPST pushbutton

B1________________9V  PP3 Battery

Clip for PP3 Battery

Two steel rods of appropriate length

(taken from redcircuits.com)
I assmebled the project in two small PCBS.Its working well when the three leads from 4012 are shorted and tested.
The arrangement i made inside the water is as follows ---from the three leads three insulated breadboard wires of separate lengths are taken and they are tied to a rod together.The tip of insulated wires are removed of insulation so that when water touches the contacts should be shorted.The setup is shown below.
waterlevelindicator.JPG

The problem is when the arrangement shown above is under water..Minimum (red) LED works well.In Medium Level the (Yellow) LEDis on for some seconds then switches off.In the Full Level the LED (green) is never turned on at all..
So what should i do?They ve said in the circuit description to use steel rods ,but since ive none with me i used this arrangement.Can somebody tell me where i m wrong.
Thank you very much
Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.