Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wall power control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenosis

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
id like to create a control circuit that takes a standard wall power supply (outputs 9v) and run it through a breadboard power supply (like this one) and has two output terminals; one with +3v and one with -3v.

this is being used for a robotic arm that is currently run off of batteries that are set up in the -3v and +3v config.

if its easier to just strip the wall power supply to vdc and gnd pins and use that with a breadboard, i could do that also.

Last edited by a moderator:

From the looks of the circuit board, they're using a LM317 adjustable regulators. The output is set to 3.3V. It could be tweaked to 3.0V. An LM317 requires (per spec's) an input 3V greater than its output. So for +3V out you would need +6V in. To get +3V/-3V, you would need 12V in. Those boards' outputs can't be stacked: +3V/com/-3V with one transformer winding input, even if it were 12V instead of 9V. If you are going to use those boards you would need two separate 6V wall warts.

Ken

Xenosis

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
say i get a 12v wall power supply, could i combine the 5v and 3.3v lines maybe via a one way diode/capacitor/op amp configuration and then split off 6v to then be divided into +3v/-3v ?

thanks for your reply.

How would I go about accomplishing this +3v/-3v split not using the breadboard power supply?

It seems more viable using this vground method, https://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html, but I'm not experienced enough to be able to do the calculations necessary. I can build a schematic and take component measurements, but that's about it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back