Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VT mismatch contribution of mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.

melkord

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
From this paper, it is shown that the input-referred offset contribution from M2b = delta_V_T2b * (gm2/gm1) , gm2=gm3.
This is done as if V2b = 0. (red mark)
But I am not comfortable with this.
Am I missing something here?

As a comparison, for other calculation, e.g., M1a and M4a, the input DC source is grounded. (blue mark).
Then, we can link it with its gm to find the output current.
This I understand.

1651182004768.png

You were not too clear about the specific section or equation you are asking.
I'll assume it is eq 8 p1216, you meant. In it, he explains the voffset(variance) is proportional to some weighting terms. One of which is ((gm2,3)/gm1)^2*var((deltaVT(2,3)). In order to bring this down, one can lower ratio gm2,3/gm1.

He then explains that all devices have same Id. So one needs to decrease gm2,3/I at the cost of larger deltaV and lower output swing.

I think you are questioning that comment.

If you take (gm/Id) = Beta*deltaV/(Beta*deltaV^2) = 1/deltaV
That confirms his comment.

If you are asking why the weighting factor of of the voffset contribution is gm2/gm1. I would think about it like this.

We know Iout is proportional to difference of (vgs1-vt1)- (vgs2-vt2). If vt1 and vt2 are perfectly matched it is just Iout proportional to vgs1-vgs2. For a fixed common mode this will center output difference at 0.
Now vout difference is proportional to gm1*(diff(vin))*(1/gm2). Again, a vt mismatch would offset this ideal value from 0 because diff(vin) is no longer zero. (but vt difference) So to lower this effect, one could lower ratio gm2/gm1. This brings us back to first point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back