voltage-to-current converter chip for oscilloscope XY mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
voltage-to-current converter chip for oscilloscope XY mode for curve tracing?

Using a oscilloscope in XY mode is voltage verically and voltage horzontally

My goal is to use the oscilloscope to do curve tracing or component characterists like what a signature analysis test gear does

If i put my oscilloscope in XY mode and try to measure a resistor it doesn't Curve trace, if i try to measure a capacitor it doesn't curve trace either

Do you have to hook up a AC generator to the resistor or capacitor when doing curve tracing on the oscilloscope?or use a power supply hookup up to the component being curved trace?

So channel #1 on the oscilloscope is set to the vertical display for voltage
Channel#2 on the oscillscope is set to horizontial display for voltage

If i use a voltage to current converter chip on channel#2 will the oscilloscope be able to do V/I curve tracing? (i would need a current oscilloscope probe too)

Re: voltage-to-current converter chip for oscilloscope XY mo

You don't need any current probe if you know how scope works, it seems you don't.

On Y you need the measuring voltage. On X you need a ramp voltage.
Every other signal than voltage must be converted to voltage (ie using a simple zero drop current to voltage converter with OA).

For a curve tracing you need a variable voltage (ramp) applied on X input and through a voltage to current converter applied to DUT (device under test). The DUT response (which is a voltage) will be applied on Y input. That's all.

Re: voltage-to-current converter chip for oscilloscope XY mo

Can you please give me a block diagram how i should hook this up please?

Block diagram:

1.) Power supply set at 5 volts goes to one side of the resistor or capacitor ( DUT)
2.) oscilloscope Y channel goes to one side of the resistor where the 5 volts is at
3.) Set a function generator for a RAMP voltage goes to the other side of the resistor (DUT) or capacitor ( DUT)
4.) Oscilloscope X channel goes to the other side of the resistor or capacitor
5.) Put the voltage to current convertor IC chip inbetween the Oscilloscope X channel and the (DUT)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…