Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Regulator 5V, 2A

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneloctober

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I'm at my wit's end trying to find a good solution for a simple problem... I need a regulator that accepts about 12 - 24V input and outputs 5V, and at least 2A of current.

I know I can get a linear regulator, but I have size constraints. The heatsink I'd need just won't fit. I'm thinking I could just use a switching regulator IC (step-down). I'm familiar with IC's that need an inductor, a cap, and a diode, but my friend said that there are some certain voltage step-down IC's that do not need any external components. Can anyone give me suggestions?... THANKS!!!

Wow, thanks for the replies!!!

I think I'm going to go with the LM2596. I can't buy premade boards because the regulator has to be part of a bigger board.

Now a follow up question. I don't think I'll be going beyond 2A. So, if the LM2596-5.0 has 80% efficiency, and I'll be drawing 2A max, will it always dissipate 2.5W??? I calculated that like this:

output of 5V * 2A = 10W
efficiency 0.8 so, 10W/0.8 = 12.5W of input needed for 10W.
12.5W - 10W = 2.5W

My question is, do i still need a heatsink for that?...

Yes! ...but only a modest one.

The datasheet indicates the thermal resistances for a number of package/mounting configurations:

Looking at the worst case scenario - the TO220 package standing vertically without a heatsink - the semiconductor junction will rise 50 degrees above ambient for every watt of power dissipated. 2.5W = 125 degrees above ambient. Although the device is rated for operation to 150 degrees, this is too hot - elevated temperatures adversely affect reliability/safety margins and take a toll on surrounding components and casings too. Option (10) presented is getting better [although still too warm for my liking], and option 11 a vast improvement. It's not hard to do better than 20 degrees/watt with even a tiny piece of aluminium (without necessarily using a "formal" heatsink such as: https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/17590.pdf) - perhaps there's a nearby lid/case/chassis you could exploit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back