Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage level conversion- how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My MCU 's gpio pin can output 3 volts. I need to output 4.2 volts for a certain signal. The pin can toggle at a max of 10Khz.

I was wondering if i could use the 2N3904 switching transistor for this purpose and drive it from the gpio pin. I don't want to use a cmos-ttl converter chip because it's just one pin's voltage that i need to boost. Is this the right approach?

That could be the right sort of idea, but we need more details. Have you a 4.2V supply or are you turning on an LED and have a 5V supply? What is the micro? Some have open drain outputs that are 5V tolerant. How much current do you need?

Keith

My MCU is a Samsung S3C8 series 8bit CMOS controller,and the board operates at 3 volts(I get this from a variable DC power supply).Consequently, the gpio pin cannot produce more than 3V.

The MCU has open drain outputs on some ports! I guess that means I can just use a pullup resistor to get the 4.2 volts.

In case i use a port pin not having pullups, is the 2N3904 a good choice?.I just need to send HIGH (>4.2V)and LOW (<0.4v) on the pin (communication protocol) and the current is not a factor.But the pin might switch at 10KHz.

Unfortunately the S3C8 open drain outputs cannot be used above Vdd (some microcontrollers can) so you need to use a level shifter, such as a transistor, as you suggest or a small MOSFET with pull-up resistor.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back