Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Voltage divider with wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fworg64

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can i make a voltage divider with only wire, all i want to do is cut the voltage in half so it should work right? will this work?

Nope. The resistabce of the wire is too small and neligible, you will short the battery and end up with a hot battery. If too long, you might explode it also

What is the smallest amount of resistance i can use if only for 10~15 seconds?

Why do you want to divide 6V down to 3V. Will it not be a better solution to use a series regulator like an LM317?

yes Dear ,do not connect it in a such manners ,,other wise it will be short cct ,and huge current will flow may cause some damage.
you should adopt proper way of downconversion ..OR use Resistor Combination

Well the reason i want to convert 6v to 3v is beacause for a relay in my circuit the max is 3v and the reason im using resistors is becase this is for a science project and im limited to resistors relays and capacitors which brings me again to my question of "whats the least amount of resistance i can use" also as to why i want very little resistance is beacause the resistor i use here will be in series with my relay and if it is more then 10ohms, it will not work. but i do belive i just thought of a way to wire it so its on a switch.

What is the relay's hold current?
Connect a resistor in series with the relay. The value of this resistor is 3v/(Relay hold current + 10%).
This series resistor will take 3 V over it, The othr # V will be over the relay

never mind found a way to do it with a DPDT switch, thatnk you for your input however

Status
Not open for further replies.