Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage and the Current Shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, forgive me to raise this question.

How do all the standard bodies develop the list which consists of the level of electrical current and its effect to human body?

Do they wire some poor guys, one end of his body connected to an electrical source and the other end to an Amperemeter and then the Ampmeter connected to the power source to complete the loop? And then they increase the current which pass the body some ampere at a time, and record the effect, until he is "game over"?

Oups ..... sorry, that not my real question :)

According to your opinion, what kills people in an electrocution?

Is it the burning of people when high level of current pass the body or is it the malfunction of body control when electricity pass the body and jam all the bio-electrical signal?

Thank you so much.

aaNg

anggoro_yn said:
According to your opinion, what kills people in an electrocution?

Is it the burning of people when high level of current pass the body or is it the malfunction of body control when electricity pass the body and jam all the bio-electrical signal?

Thank you so much.

aaNg

I guess that depends on the value of current and body resistance at the moment of shock.
If the current is say arnd 10mA and resistance is around 1Kohm (wet body) then heat generated per sec is arnd 0.1W which is not much. So in this case ventricular fibrillation or the malfunction of heart due to current is responsible.
However above 200mA the muscle contractions are so strong that the heart clamps and this prevents fibrillatrion.
So if current were say around 1 A and resistance arnd 100Kohm for dry skin then heat is the cause of death.

Check this page for more info.
**broken link removed**

Yesterday, I got a minor accident. Accidentally, I touch a live wire.

Thank GOD, there was nothing happened to me but "a slight sensation of electricity". I didn't remember whether I was dry or wet ....... but I think the sensation was less than my earlier experience.

What a &^&%*& thing to happen ......... I raised a question about effect of electricity on human being and then got electrified in the weekend!!!

aaNg

when a current more than 0.5ma passes through human body there is a threshold of perception.
shock is only dependent on current passing through the body.
man can stay alive even after 20kv shock if power behind these voltages is too much small. STUN GUNS are based on this principle.

hi checkmate,
What do you mean by this? Please elaborate :

checkmate said:
One danger point about DC is that the contraction is sustained. A person shocked with AC would probably let go of the line like a hot potato. But one shocked by DC may grip on to the line even more tightly, allowing current to finish the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back