Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Viterbi traceback length

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzushky

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
:| Hello Hello,

I've been trying to find out the exact reason for needing 5L traceback length in the case of Viterbi decoding ( of unpunctured codes, as is stated generally). I just want a formula, a reason, an explanation why 5L and not for example less, because I'm using a Viterbi decoder for frequency modulation and I get the same result for 5L as for L+2 (L=3)... Does anyone know what book or article or reference can explain it?? (I've searched everywhere and all I get is " at least 5L has been proved to work...)

I'd appreciate it very much, thanks in advance.....

Bye:!:

havent ever seen any proof of this. It must be an empirical result. Just like you find good convol codes through computer search.
-b

After 5 time constrain lengths, the output of traceback merges to one paths, no formal proof on this observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back