Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vishay core loss calculator tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We need to know core loss in IHLP8787 inductor 6.8uH (pushpull output L)
https://www.vishay.com/docs/34350/ihlp8787mz5a.pdf

Irms = 9.5A, therefore conduction loss is 0.27W

When we try to calculate core loss in the calculator, it asks for voltage drop in the switch and voltage drop in the diode ("VSW" and "VD").....but surely that has nothing to do with it?

(our topology is pushpull, but in the calculator i had to "pretend" it was a buck, 48vin, 32vout, 300wout, 225khz (each fet at half that)

[its actually a synchronous pushpull with 2:1 txformer and 24 vin]

Vishay IHLP core loss calculator

[6.8uH is too low value, but its on the cust PCB that they want tested, so thats that for us]

EDIT...my apologies, i get it now......they want to know these voltages so they can calculate the actual voltages across the inductor.....i thought they would let me do that....my apologies...problem solved.

New problem.....it says its 3.5W of total loss and 2.7W of core loss....do you think its too much?......there is no fan air...its in enclosed metal (Al) box....the footprint is as attached...it 4 layer PCB......no thermal vias, and ridiculously than thermal reliefs as shown.........surely that footprint and 3.5W is asking for trouble?
Max external ambient 50degc

Attachments

• inductor 10A.jpg
    inductor 10A.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.