Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video Signal Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrtich.nazaryan

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I just want to buy a DPS or FPGA Development Kit for video and audio signal processing for analog and digital signals. Please suggest me any development broad.
And one more question. Which one is better for video and audio signal processing DSP or FPGA or to obtain or both of them into one board.
Thanks.

I would suggest BeagleBoard.
It has an excellent DSP (TMS320C64x) (C6000 High Performance DSP - TMS320C64x DSP - TMS320C6410 - TI.com)

Features and description
===================
Features:

600MHz superscalar ARM Cortex A8 processor
Over 1,200 Dhrystone MIPS
Up to 10 million polygons per second graphics output
HD-video capable C64x+ DSP core
256MB LPDDR RAM
256MB NAND Flash
I2C, I2S, SPI, MMC/SD capabilities
DVI-D and S-video video output
JTAG
SD/MMC+ socket
3.5mm stereo in/out
USB 2.0 HS OTG
RS-232 serial

Description:
==========
The Beagle Board is an incredibly powerful single-board computer developed by Texas Instruments, featuring their OMAP3530 system on a chip. The board is supported by a large community and is designed with open-source development in mind.

The Beagle Board measures about 3x3" and has all the functionality of a basic computer. With its numerous expansion options, the Beagle Board can be used as the backbone for a large variety of projects. The OMAP3530 includes an HD-video capable TMS320C64x+ DSP for accelerated video and audio decoding, and an OpenGL ES 2.0 capable 2D/3D GPU. Video outputs can be provided by the on-board S-video or DVI-D (HDMI connector) outputs.

The board also includes an MMC+/SD/SDIO interface, USB 2.0, 3.5mm stereo audio in/out connectors, and RS-232 and JTAG connectors.

The board can consume up to 2W of power, which can be provided via USB or an external 5V source, via the on-board barrel jack. Because of the efficient power consumption, the board requires no additional cooling.

Thank you bharath_a0 for your replay.
Your information is really very helped me. Today I have found one article about video processing with FPGA or DSP. So now I'm thinking what to do use DSP or FPGA for HD video processing. What do you thinks about this?

Thank you bharath_a0 for your replay.
Your information is really very helped me. Today I have found one article about video processing with FPGA or DSP. So now I'm thinking what to do use DSP or FPGA for HD video processing. What do you thinks about this?

This entirely depends on your application/requirement.
DSPs tend to be much more faster than the signal processors built on FPGA. Also implementing a Signal processor as good as TMS320C64x (which is on the beagle board) on an FPGA will require a sufficiently large FPGA. A prototype board with such an FPGA would be very costly compared to the Beagle-board.

But if you have a custom algorithm to be implemented which is not possible to be realized using a general DSP chip available in the market, then FPGA is a very good option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back