Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Via dimensions are way off course, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatefast08

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys, I am using Eagle PCB software. As shown below, I pick a via from the pallet to the left, then I place it onto the board and I notice that the via has a larger diameter than I intended. As you can see also I enter the diameter of the via as 0.381 mm as shown in properties, then I use the dimension ruler to check the diameter of the via on the board and it shows 0.72 mm. What is going on?

1595618997208.png

You did not mention what CAD is it, anyway in general the ruler is not a good method to take primitive dimensions once it depends on your ability to align correctly, moreover you did not zoomed the via which would lead to a higher measuring error; the properties panel is the most suited way to do that, as you did.

Hi,

Look at your design rules for "via restring" setup.

Klaus

Eagle is a way off the layout tool standard in its way to setup via parameters, but it's all explained in the manual. The actual diameter is shown as "outer layer diameter" in the dialog. You are inaccurately measuring 0.66 as 0.72 mm.

Hey guys, I am using Eagle PCB software. As shown below, I pick a via from the pallet to the left, then I place it onto the board and I notice that the via has a larger diameter than I intended. As you can see also I enter the diameter of the via as 0.381 mm as shown in properties, then I use the dimension ruler to check the diameter of the via on the board and it shows 0.72 mm. What is going on?

View attachment 163111

Hello skatefast08,

Are you sure that the visible diameter is of copper layer and NOT the soldermask ?

Regards,
Maqbool

Manufacturers tend to use metric drills in 0.1mm increments, use a sensible metric dimension for your hole sizes, this is the 21st Century after all. Use 0.3 or 0.4mm for finished via size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back