Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vhdl code :resolution function for integers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaitanyapraveen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
sir,
I am chaitanya from pune. I would like know about the resolution function for integers. could any body please write resolution function for integer in vhdl

sir,
I am chaitanya from pune. I would like know about the resolution function for integers. could any body please write resolution function for integer in vhdl
If one driver for an integer signal is 1, another driver is 2 what integer output would you expect the output to be?
If there are three drivers of the integer, 200, 999 and -1, what integer output would you expect the output to be?

Think about it. Post your answer. Then someone can help

Kevin Jennings

I think an unknown value may come
Integers are 0, 1, 2, ... (as well as the negative counterparts). There are no 'unknown' integers.

Type std_logic has 'unknowns', because type std_logic has a predefined set of nine values one of which is used to indicate 'uninitialized', another for 'unknown', etc. This type has a resolution function where you feed it a list of values that the various drivers would like to drive a signal to and it will output the 'resolved' value. While any type 'can' have a resolution function, most do not. Integers have no such 'resolved' function. To create such a function, one would have to answer the questions that I first posed for the general case of 'n' integer drivers of a signal that produce an integer output.

Kevin Jennings

Status
Not open for further replies.