Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] VHDL alias on 2D arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaul

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have not referred to the LRM, but it looks like 2D arrays (type can be any) cannot be referenced via alias.

Or is my understanding incorrect?

I will get back to you tomorrow. A colleague of mine complained about this.
I am modifying my TB to access a 2D array of type std_logic_vector located somewhere deep in my design, to see what the compiler has to say.
My colleague uses Xilinx xsim, I use Modelsim. Can that create a difference?

So this is a question also about external names, not necessarily aliases.
--- Updated ---

I would suggest anything that involves Xilinx tools creates a difference.

Last edited:

@TrickyDicky,
Yes it was to ally the external name with an alias statement (I was not strict with the thread name).

My colleague had declared the alias as a global signal and the compiler complained about it.
Code:
 ** Error (suppressible): C:/work/../../../*_tb.vhd(201): (vcom-1309) Target of the external name must be elaborated before the external name is evaluated.

I used the following way:

Code:
type arr_64b_17d is array (16 downto 0) of std_logic_vector(63 downto 0);
signal axi_rd_arr_tb : arr_64b_17d;

begin

proc1: process(...)
    begin
    end process proc1;
    alias_test_p: process(clk)
        alias axi_rd_arr is <<signal top_inst.submod1.submod2.rd_data_arr : arr_64b_17d>>;
    begin
        if rising_edge(clk) then
            axi_rd_arr_tb <= axi_rd_arr;
        end if;
    end process alias_test_p;

Last edited:

The error is correct - external names need to have knowledge of the hierarchy, hence you cannot use an external name into an entity that hasnt been instantiated yet. So using it as a global signal inside a package is not going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.