Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very simple circuit with a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilperon

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a switch but I cant use a microcontroler for this project cause I need this really simple circuit that I will describe to be cheap and easy to make cause it will be used in at least 300 places.

I have a 5v battery and once I press (down and up) a switch I need it to turn on a led. When I press it again I need to turn off that led. With an arduino I can easily save the state of the first press and check if the button was pressed or not and turn on/off the led. Without a microcontroler I dont know how to do that. Is there some simple circuit that can turn on and off a led when pressed?

Why think so grandiose…..

Just use a self locking switch. ( these are DIFFERENT from on off switches), They have a mechanical 'latch' inside but the button ALWAYS returns to the start position, however the internal contacts 'remember' the state.

So :
1.button down and up = switch internally 'closed'
2.button down and up = switch internally 'open'
3. go to 1

*OR*
If you want to increase cost:

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/42826/resettable-latching-switches
https://www.edn.com/design/power-management/4427218/Latching-power-switch-uses-momentary-pushbutton

Last edited:

Here is a circuit that uses two CMOS inverters and a transistor:

Attachments

• alternate action LED.PNG
    alternate action LED.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 124
  • alternate action explanation.png
    alternate action explanation.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 127

@Audioguru thank you, I can undestand that circuit but it would be too complicated to me. The self locking switch would be better to my purpose. I only knew about the momentary switchs, I didnt know of this kind of switch. They are very cheap $1 and it is much cheaper than creating that circuit you @Audioguru provided but it's always good to know it is possible to build it!

Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.