Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Very high precission COMPARATOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Sawyer

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

what kind of architectures could you suggest implementing a high precission comparator using a BiCMOS process.

It is a non latched comparator.. where I must have a precission of 1.5% ... and I want to avoid the auto-zero-technique (question of design time) for the offset compensation..

When using bipolar input devices - what about the non equal base currents when one input is comming from resistive dividers?

Looking for help...

Best regards,

Tom

Can you tell me some words I cannot understand clearly.

> a precission of 1.5%
Does this means that input overdrive voltage is 1.5% of the full-scal voltage?
If so, the answer is "depends". I mean, depands on how many overdrive voltage. If it's very small (i.e. several mV) you may need some correction technique. If not, just amplify it.

> I want to avoid the auto-zero-technique (question of design time)
Sorry, I dont understand (question of design time)??

> When using bipolar input devices - what about the non equal base currents when one input is comming from resistive dividers?
Effects, I guess. It will changes the input voltage. you may need consider this and check by simulation.

I hope this helps you.

Please specify the minimum detectable input voltage in VOLTS;-)

A reasonable minimum input offset without auto-zero techniques is about 1mV. Is that enough for you?

Well, thanks for the reply so far.

I will give a more precise description:

I have to design an "under voltage" and an "over voltage" block for a reset block.
The reset block to detect the under voltage or over voltage must have a precision of 1.5%.
I will operate with a 5 V supply. The signal to be detected for over or under voltage is 2.6V. As reference I will get a trimmed 1% bandgap voltage of 2.39V.

For this reason I need a very precise comparator..

I thought using either:

o a simple comparator together with auto zero technique (high design effort also for the clock generation)
o or a comparator with a big input device to get around the offset voltage.

What do you think about this ?

Best regards,

Tom

I think you try to overcomplicate this task.
This can be achieved using basic comparators such as 311 with a good and stabile voltage refference source (ΔVref/ΔT<50ppm/°C) such as TL(KA)431 ..

Still cannot catch you... If you have a block diagram, it would be helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.