Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] verilog syntax question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmountney

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone please help with the behavior of the following verilog code? I am not familiar with the " : " operation folowing an " always begin " statement. Is this some form of a conditional? Thank you.

Code:
 always 
   begin : x
      @(s); 
      begin

........   SOME CODE  .....

end
end

Last edited:

It's an *optional* identifier (i.e. a label or name).
You only need it if you wish to reference it from a disable statement or to hierarchically reference local variables declared inside that sequential-block hierarchy.
(some simulators might also use it for more verbose log/debug messages if it exists)

I'd suggest grabbing a download of the unified SystemVerilog IEEE 1800-2012 SystemVerilog spec while it's still free:
It is now merged to cover both Verilog and SystemVerilog - you can see the description for block names in section 5.3.4.

As pointed out, it's a label. It's useful for example with a generate statement to give your instantiated modules more meaningful names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back