Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Verilog] help! a decoder with unknown number of inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickwang1982

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Here is my problem.
I have unknown number of inputs (all with 3-bit wide), depending on the system configuration. I want to design a decoder to select the input with largest value as the output. So I am using embedded ruby here, so that the configuration can be passed to RTL.
Here is my design:

Code:
[B]module[/B] decoder
(
<%  (1...NUM_INPUT).[B]each do[/B] |i| -%>
     [B]input [/B]     [2:0]  freq_<%=i%>,  
<% end -%>
     [B]output[/B]    [2:0]  decoded_freq        
)
<%  (1...NUM_INPUT-1).[B]each do[/B] |i| -%>
     [B]wire[/B]      [2:0]  x<%=i%>,
<% end -%>

[B]integer [/B]i;
//decode logic below
  [B]assign [/B]x1 = (freq_1 > freq_2)? freq_1:freq_2;  //compare the first two inputs and select the bigger one
  [B]for [/B](i=1; i<NUM_INPUT-1;i++)                       //for-loop to do the rest
       x<%=i+1%> = (x<%=i%> > freq_<%=i+2%>)? x<%=i%>:freq_<%=i+2%>;
  [B]assign [/B]decoded_freq = x<%=NUM_INPUT-1%>;
[B]endmodule[/B]

Will this work? I am not sure about the for-loop here. Is it going to work as I want? Is there any other way to do it?

Last edited:

The for-loop does not work. Despite of wrong Verilog syntax (a generate scheme instead of a for loop must be used in concurrent code), a script expression can't access a Verilog loop or generate variable, it's just text processing.

The problem is that standard Verilog doesn't support structures or arrays in module ports. As state-of-the-art solution, use System Verilog. Alternatively, you have to generate the Verilog lines processing the freq_x inputs in the script language, either as nested conditional assignments or if .. else structure.

Instead of "unknown", we say parameterizable number of inputs.

The for-loop does not work. Despite of wrong Verilog syntax (a generate scheme instead of a for loop must be used in concurrent code), a script expression can't access a Verilog loop or generate variable, it's just text processing.

The problem is that standard Verilog doesn't support structures or arrays in module ports. As state-of-the-art solution, use System Verilog. Alternatively, you have to generate the Verilog lines processing the freq_x inputs in the script language, either as nested conditional assignments or if .. else structure.

Instead of "unknown", we say parameterizable number of inputs.

Thank you for the answer. I see what you mean, so I have removed for-loop replacing with ruby
Code:
 //decode logic below
  assign x1 = (freq_1 > freq_2)? freq_1:freq_2;  //compare the first two inputs and select the bigger one
<% (1:NUM_INPUT-2).each do |i| -%>
       x<%=i+1%> = (x<%=i%> > freq_<%=i+2%>)? x<%=i%>:freq_<%=i+2%>;
<% end -%>
  assign decoded_freq = x<%=NUM_INPUT-1%>;

Further questions
1) Systemverilog can be used to generate parameterized module ports?

2) I am using YAML to set the parameters, using eruby to map or pass the parameters to the above code. Is it what you said about the alternative?

Thank you again.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back