Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO linearity verification??

Status
Not open for further replies.

faizalism

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
linear vco

Hi,

How to verify the VCO linearity?? Can we simply see the graph (f vs Vcontrol)? Because last time I presented my works, one of the engineer told me that we can't verified it by using naked eye. He said, there is technique to verify it, by using matric/matrix?? Do you have any links mentioned about it??

Thanks,

Agilent sells very nice piece of equipment.
Look for E5052 or older model 4352B.
Very expensive. $81K.
But you can perform a rough measurement with ordinary test
equipment. Have you tried to tune the VCO by a lab power supply?

S. H.

Necessity of an explicite verification obviously depends on the specfication. For usual requirements, the linearity may be guaranteed by design. Also the verification effort depends on the required accuracy.

FvM said:
Necessity of an explicite verification obviously depends on the specfication. For usual requirements, the linearity may be guaranteed by design. Also the verification effort depends on the required accuracy.

Hi all,

Is it necessary to have a linear VCO ?
Could we use PLL using non linear VCO (see figure) ?

A VCO behaving with a non-monotonic characteristic as in your figure wouldn't be suitable for a PLL, also large gain variations are probably unwanted, but high linearity isn't necassary for PLL applications of VCO. It may be required for other applications.

AdvaRes said:
FvM said:

Hi all,

Is it necessary to have a linear VCO ?

I think VCO must be linear with Vtune, or else it can't be locked.

Your plot shows a good possibility of some parasitic effects in the circuit. As result self resonances are possible. You need to check very carefully all components and their respective self-resonance frequencies (SRF). It may be too long connecting traces or too big SMT components with low SRF, via effect or something like this. Definitely such characteristic of VCO as your plot shows is unacceptable.

Best regards,
RF-OM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back