Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello! I designed a ring vco, simulated and did its layout. Then I simulate the extracted circuit (LEdit) and simulated again to obtain a frequency against control voltage curve. So the chip was fabricated and the experimental results show that the oscillation frequency is about 15 or 20% above the simulation frequency.

I hoped to obtain in lab a frequency below the simulated, maybe due to other parasitics not considered, but the frequency measured is larger.

Is this a normal behavior ? How can I justificate this percent of error. I was thinking on process variations, what do you think ?

hi,
maybe it is a fast process. and you can check the ckt by simulating the ring osc ckt in fast corner.

good luck
jeff

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
what means simulate in "fast corner" ?

I'm using a Mosis process, the fast model is a simulator option or a complete model like level=49 that currently am using ?

It's a complete model.

STOIKOV said:
I'm using a Mosis process, the fast model is a simulator option or a complete model like level=49 that currently am using ?

STOIKOV

I want design a ring oscillator,can you provide me some tutorial by ADS. and i want to know how can i builde the MOS component i need,and my operated frequency is about 5GHz!thank you!

henryhd said:
I want design a ring oscillator,can you provide me some tutorial by ADS. and i want to know how can i builde the MOS component i need,and my operated frequency is about 5GHz!thank you!

I think that there're built-in samples for ring osc in ADS.. look for them..

thank you and i'll try it !

take a look at the temperature difference between simulation and silicon.
vco frequency is sensitive to temperature.

STOIKOV

that your layout is well match?

STOIKOV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…