Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCO CMOS design issue with phase noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denys

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hallo, all!

I design VCO 10-12 GHz + div by2 CMOS 0.13 um technology. I use cross-coupled structure. I have a big problen with phase noise. Increase inductance have absolutly no influence on the noise. I have all time -45 dBc/Hz on 10 kHz and -110 dBc/Hz on 1 MHz. I need to have -70 dBc/Hz on 10 kHz and -120 dBc/Hz on 1 MHz.

Sombody can help me.

Thank for all.

Re: VCO CMOS Design

what about supply , and filker noise filters
and the sizing of the varactors , and the tail current devices

check them

khouly

VCO CMOS Design

u can increase the amplitude of the VCO

for a given bias current, phase noise increases with an increasing L in the voltage-limited regime.
for a given inductance L, phase noise increases with the bias current in the voltage-limited regime.
thus try to decrease bias current and inductance

khouly said:
what about supply , and filker noise filters
and the sizing of the varactors , and the tail current devices

check them

khouly

CMOS 0.13 um 1.5 V technology. I have VCO supply by 0.9 - 1.3 V, use tail current devices, and for the filker noise filters I use just capacitor for the fltering second harmonic. I cant use second inductance(for the filtering tail current) because I have area limitation.
I use like varactors n-channel MOS transistor and like swich-capacitors p-channel MOS. Size of NMOS 60/0.13 um and PMOS 80/0.12 um each from 3. (I have 3 PMOS swich-capacitors )

Added after 4 minutes:

and more one problem, when I connect VCO to Divider by 2, Phase noise (flicker 1/f**3) staying worse on 20 dBc/Hz. What is it can be?

is there a varactors in ur design kit , so u can use
and try to use PMOS devices

khouly

Since there is no change in your phase noise when you change the inductor, the major contribution must be coming form your bias/current-sources which is quite possible at low frequency as 10KHz. For higher frequency, please check if the varactor or cross-coupled load is the major contributor. Thsi way you can focus on the main contributors instead of just playing with inductor.

agaurav said:
Since there is no change in your phase noise when you change the inductor, the major contribution must be coming form your bias/current-sources which is quite possible at low frequency as 10KHz. For higher frequency, please check if the varactor or cross-coupled load is the major contributor. Thsi way you can focus on the main contributors instead of just playing with inductor.

Looks like you are right. I have noisy in cross-coupled pair. Can you suggest to me somethink to improve noise in this situation?

you can use pmos only.

Status
Not open for further replies.