Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

V vs. R of Polysilicon Silicide resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxporter

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Small question regarding the ‘R’ curve of polysilicon silicide resistor when sweeping the input voltage from negative to positive. As a result, I get a parabolic curve, negative or positive depending on N+ or P+. After a some searching this apparently what I can expect: there is a (V/L) squared term in the equation. And indeed, length changes the curve. But what puzzles me is that, depending on the length, at a certain negative and positive voltage the curve gets capped. See picture as an example. For small lengths, this in the operating voltage range (e.g. min length -> 300mV). Would this be a normal behavior? If so, what’s the cause and if not, why is it modelled?

Thanks & regards,
Max

rtest.png

Try a pulsed-mode pull, you may be seeing self-heating and tempco (which may be a combination of quadratic and cubic).

Poly has a worse thermal impedance than bulk resistors.

Hello Dick,

thanks for the suggestion. Tried it a couple of times, but so far I get the same outcome (or I have an incorrect setup). Perhaps important to mention, it’s a SOI process. Other poly-like resistors show similar behavior, however high-res N+ poly does not.

Update: turns out it was indeed a self heating effect (found a global switch to turn it on/off).
Thanks & regards,
Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back