Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using USB to RS232 converter for a JDM PIC Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouzid

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi edabaorders,

My desktop PC that I used to program my PICs µc is broken now. The programmer that i use is a home made programmer that works perfectly. My work is stucked now coz my laptop doesn't embbed a serial port. In order to resolve the problem, I plugged to the Usb port of the labtop an USB to RS232 converter to which I plugged the programmer. When I run ICProg the tool detect the com4 port and when operation of programming begin the leds start to blink however at the end of operation the program says that the opearation failed.

Could someone tell me what is the problem ?

Coz the fact is the USB to serial converter converts the signals but the voltage levels on the USB (5V)are not converted. It is a well known fact that JDM programmers require a serial port to work. Converters will not work. My sugession is to upgrade yourself to a PicKit2 or any one of the clones which work directly on the USB port without any problems. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back